What are the symptoms of tonsillitis?
Common symptoms of tonsillitis include:
- a sore throat and pain when you swallow
- red, swollen tonsils
- fever (a temperature of 38.5°C or higher)
- white spots or white pus on your tonsils
- swollen 'glands' (lymph nodes) in your neck
- pain in your ears or neck.
If your tonsillitis is caused by the flu virus, you may also have some of the symptoms of flu including a runny nose, a cough and aching muscles and limbs.
Certain symptoms are more likely to suggest a diagnosis of bacterial tonsillitis.