Find reliable independent health and treatment information about atrial fibrillation written by Australian experts. This includes resources for consumers and health professionals.
About atrial fibrillation
Atrial fibrillation is a condition where the heart beats irregularly, often faster than normal.
An irregular heartbeat means that blood isn’t pumped through the heart with the usual force, allowing blood to pool in one of the chambers of the heart. As a result, blood clots can form, which can travel through the blood vessels to other parts of the body. These blood clots can block the blood supply to the brain and cause a stroke.
Many people with atrial fibrillation are prescribed an anticoagulant medicine (e.g. warfarin) to prevent blood clots. You may also be prescribed other medicines to control the rate or rhythm of your heart. Find out more about the medicines and treatments for atrial fibrillation.
Find out more
For health professionals
Many patients with atrial fibrillation are at elevated risk of stroke. Such patients - even those at risk of bleeding - need treatment with an anticoagulant. After correcting risk factors for bleeding, warfarin should be considered the first option to prevent stroke. Other oral anticoagulants are available - but note that all oral anticoagulants will require routine clinical monitoring.
Our CPD activities
Consolidate your knowledge on atrial fibrillation, brush-up on current guidelines and practices and earn CPD points through our learning activities.
- Interactive online case study: Oral anticoagulants — exploring treatment options for stroke prevention. Jenny is a 76 year old recently diagnosed with non-valvular AF.
- National Prescribing Curriculum module: Anticoagulation in atrial fibrillation
For your patients
Use the following tools and resources in your consultations with patients.
The information below is intended for health professionals and is taken from the latest guidelines and evidence to help them and their patients with atrial fibrillation using warfarin.
- National Heart Foundation: Cardiovascular conditions: atrial fibrillation.
- Atrial Fibrillation Association - Australia.
- Stroke foundation. Cardiovascular conditions: Atrial fibrillation.
- NPS Medicine Update. Dabigatran (Pradaxa) for preventing stroke in people with atrial fibrillation.
- NPS Medicine Update: Rivaroxiban (Xarelto) for preventing stroke in people with atrial fibrillation.
- National Heart Foundation leaflet: Atrial fibrillation.
- Mayo clinic: Atrial Fibrillation.
- NHS choices: Atrial Fibrillation.
- Better Health Channel. Heart conditions: Atrial fibrillation.