Key points on type 2 diabetes
People with diabetes may require several interventions and medications to control the multiple risk factors.
- Address blood pressure and lipids as a priority in people with type 2 diabetes.1
- Individualise blood glucose targets based on patient factors and duration of disease.1,2
- When intensifying glycaemic therapy, consider the effectiveness of glucose-lowering medicines in reducing diabetes-related complications and mortality.
- Royal Australian College of General Practitioners. General practice management of type 2 diabetes 2014-2015. 2014. [Online] (accessed 15 May 2016).
- Australian Diabetes Society. A new blood glucose management algorithm for type 2 diabetes. A position statement of the Australian Diabetes Society. Australia: Australian Diabetes Society, 2014. [Online] (accessed 23 March 2015).