Regular health checks for type 2 diabetes
Diabetes can affect your body and your health in different ways. There are a number of check up s you can have every year to make sure that any complications are spotted early, monitored and treated if necessary. This is know as your Diabetes Annual Cycle of Care, which is eligible for Medicare rebate, and is a way for you and your doctor to plan all the health checks and tests you need each year.
How will the Diabetes Annual Cycle of Care help me?
- a comprehensive eye examination
- testing your kidney function
- foot examination
- reviewing all your medicines
- a review of your diet and physical activity
- checking your HbA1c, blood pressure, cholesterol and other fat levels.
What should I do?
- make an appointment with your health professional to plan your Diabetes Annual Cycle of Care
- ask your health professional how often you should have each test
- ask your health professional to refer you to a dietitian or exercise physiologist for advice about healthy eating and physical activity
- find out more about the team of health professionals and other services available to you.