Medicines and treatments for pneumonia
Treatments for pneumonia depend on several factors including:
- what is causing the infection (a virus or bacteria)
- if you are an adult or a child
- how severe your symptoms are
- if you are at risk of complications of the infection (e.g. you have a medical condition such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [COPD]).
Medicines and treatments for pneumonia in adults
Pneumonia in adults is usually caused by bacteria. If bacteria are causing the infection, your health professional will prescribe antibiotics. The antibiotic that is most appropriate for you depends on:
- what type of bacteria are causing the infection
- how severe your symptoms are.
Find out more about treatments for adults with pneumonia.
Medicines and treatments for pneumonia in children
Antibiotics are usually needed to treat pneumonia in children. Exactly which antibiotic your health professional prescribes will depend on:
- your child’s age
- how severe their symptoms are
- what type of bacteria are causing the infection.
Find out more about treatments for children with pneumonia.