Medicines Line (1300 MEDICINE)
We collaborate with healthdirect Australia to deliver Medicines Line, a telephone service providing consumers with information on prescription, over-the-counter and complementary (herbal, ‘natural’, vitamin and mineral) medicines.
When you call 1300 MEDICINE, you will speak with an experienced registered nurse. Your question may be answered on the spot, or you may be referred to your GP or pharmacist, or to another health professional. If you have a complex enquiry, you may be put through to an NPS pharmacist.
Getting information over the phone
- Call 1300 MEDICINE (1300 633 424) from anywhere in Australia for the cost of a local phone call (calls from mobiles may cost more).
- Hours of operation: Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm AEST (excluding NSW public holidays).
How we can help you
Information provided by Medicines Line includes:
- how a medicine works
- how to take medicines
- side effects
- interactions with other medicines
- medicines during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- medicines for children
- storage of medicines
- how to obtain consumer medicine information (CMI) for your prescription medicines
- referrals to reliable services and support organisations, e.g. support organisations for people with your health condition
- promotion of the quality use of medicines and provision of information that is independent, evidence-based, appropriate and safe
- encouraging responsible use of medicines by increasing public awareness about medicines.
In addition to receiving information, callers will be encouraged to discuss the information with their own doctor or pharmacist, who are best placed to help interpret the medicines information.
This telephone service is not for emergencies, medical advice or second opinions
Medicines Line does not provide:
- emergency services. If you have concerns about an overdose or suspected poisoning, call the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26 any time. For general emergencies call 000.
- medical advice or second opinions on the medicines recommended by your health professional.
Information provided by Medicines Line does not replace advice from a doctor or pharmacist.
Read more information about the services available from healthdirect Australia.
Give us your feedback
We value your comments. Please contact us with your feedback.