Drug misuse: implications for pharmacists
Course for pharmacistsOpen
- 2 Group 2 CPD credits
This module is part of the implementation of the National Pharmaceutical Drug Misuse Framework for Action. It provides an opportunity to reinforce your knowledge of the vital role pharmacists play in ensuring quality use of medicines in Australia and preventing potentially harmful medicines use.
The content focuses on preventing harmful use of pharmaceutical opioids, including over-the-counter codeine-containing preparations and benzodiazepines, as these classes are associated with the greatest harm in Australia.
After completing this learning module, you will be able to:
- describe the problem being addressed by the Framework and how pharmacists can be part of the solution
- discuss the warning signs of drug misuse and what can be done in response
- discuss your role in the patient care team in ensuring quality use of medicines of dependence
- identify four conversation starters to use in your practice when discussing sensitive issues with patients
- describe ways to make your pharmacy more conducive to difficult conversations.
CPD and incentives
Accreditation number: CX150032. This activity has been accredited for 1 hour of Group 2 CPD (or 2 CPD credits) suitable for inclusion in an individual pharmacist's CPD plan.