Depression: Supporting quality use of antidepressants
Pharmacy Practice Review for pharmacistsStart now
- Up to 8 hours of Group 2 CPD (or 16 CPD credits)
- Suitable for inclusion in an individual pharmacist’s CPD plan
New express version available!
Depression is common and is estimated to affect 1 in 20 Australians each year.
This activity provides you with an opportunity to reflect on your current management of patients with depression, re-examine treatment options and review the increasing body of evidence supporting a variety of non-pharmacological approaches.
NEW: Express version requires only 5 episodes of care
- Express version: 5 episodes of care (for 10 CPD credits), or
- Standard version:10 episodes of care (for 16 CPD credits)
You will be given the option to submit your data once 5 episodes of care are entered, or continue to 10 episodes of care for 16 CPD credits.
Participation in this activity will assist you to:
- Discuss with patients that the use of antidepressants is often part of a broader management plan for depression
- Outline recommended treatment options for patients with depression including adequate trial periods and treatment duration
- Discuss the expectations of antidepressant treatment with patients, explaining potential adverse effects and medicine interactions
- Monitor for adherence and adverse effects, and identify patients that should be referred to their GP or other health service.
You will have access to:
- Up-to-date clinical guidance which provides evidence-based information to update your knowledge and guide your counselling encounters with patients
- Pharmacist tools that inform and support your best practice discussions with patients
- Aggregated results of your peers and expert commentary about the results from Dr Claire O’Reilly (community pharmacist and lecturer, Faculty of Pharmacy University of Sydney).
CPD and competencies
This activity has been accredited for:
- 5 hours of Group 2 CPD (or 10 CPD credits), suitable for inclusion in an individual pharmacist’s CPD plan (accreditation number: CX150057A) for completion of 5 episodes of care.
- 8 hours of Group 2 CPD (or 16 CPD credits) suitable for inclusion in an individual pharmacist’s CPD plan (accreditation number: CX150057B) for completion of 10 episodes of care.
Pharmacy practice reviews assist pharmacists to meet the following competency standards as set out in the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia Competency Standards for Pharmacists in Australia 2010:
- Standard 1.2 Practise to accepted standards
- Standard 1.3 Deliver 'patient-centred' care
- Standard 1.4 Manage quality and safety
- Standard 1.5 Maintain and extend professional competence
- Standard 2.1 Communicate effectively
- Standard 2.2 Work to resolve problems
- Standard 2.3 Collaborate with members of the health care team
- Standard 3.4 Manage quality service delivery
- Standard 4.2 Consider the appropriateness of prescribed medicines
- Standard 4.3 Dispense prescribed medicines
- Standard 6.1 Assess primary health care needs
- Standard 6.2 Deliver primary health care
- Standard 6.3 Contribute to public and preventive health
- Standard 7.1 Contribute to therapeutic decision-making
- Standard 7.2 Provide ongoing medication management
- Standard 7.3 Influence patterns of medicine use