Talking to your health professional about imaging
- Imaging can be very useful in helping to diagnose the cause of your symptoms, but is not always necessary.
- Be well informed about your imaging and ask your doctor any questions you may have.
Medical imaging can be very useful to show what is happening inside the body and can help diagnose the cause of your symptoms. However, your doctor will only refer you for medical imaging if it is likely to help in the diagnosis or management of your condition or injury.
It's important to be well informed before any imaging or other medical test. Know your imaging options, the advantages and disadvantages of each type of imaging and talk to your doctor about any questions or concerns you may have.
Questions to ask your health professional about imaging
- How will the imaging help my condition or injury?
- What does the imaging procedure involve?
- Are there any risks associated with the imaging?
- Are there any other options, particularly ones that do not use radiation?
- How much will the imaging cost?