Who shouldn't take dabigatran?

As with all medicines, there are benefits and risks associated with taking dabigatran (Pradaxa).

Dabigatran (Pradaxa) may not be suitable if you:

  • are already taking warfarin and your INR is stable
  • if you are taking certain other medicines
  • have a medical condition that increases your risk of bleeding e.g. a blood clotting disorder or a history of bleeding (e.g. in the stomach or brain)
  • have artificial heart valves
  • have reduced kidney function
  • have liver problems
  • are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.

Monitoring your kidney function

Before you start taking dabigatran, you will need to have a kidney function test (a blood test that measures how well your kidneys are working).

Regular ongoing tests to check kidney function may also be needed for people who:

  • are 75 years or older
  • already have kidney problems
  • develop a condition that may affect their kidneys
  • are taking medicines that may affect their kidneys.

Tell your doctor if you have any of the conditions listed above, or if you have any concerns about taking dabigatran.

Tell all your health professionals you are taking dabigatran

If you are taking dabigatran, tell all the health professionals treating you — including your doctor, pharmacist and dentist. They may need to talk to the doctor who prescribed dabigatran for you, particularly if you need to have surgery.

Be sure to let your doctor or pharmacist know about any other medicines you are taking in case they interact with dabigatran.

Speak to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions about taking dabigatran, and read the consumer medicines information for Pradaxa.

Phone for medicines information

Call NPS Medicines Line on 1300 MEDICINE (1300 633 424, Monday–Friday, 9am–5pm AEST) to get information about your prescription, over-the-counter and complementary medicines (herbal, 'natural', vitamins and mineral supplements) from a pharmacist. Your call will be answered by healthdirect Australia (except Queensland and Victoria).