Pravastatin generichealth Tablets
Pravastatin generichealth Tablets is a brand of medicine containing the active ingredient pravastatin sodium.
Find out more about active ingredients.
Consumer medicine information (CMI) leaflet
Developed by the pharmaceutical company responsible for this medicine in Australia, according to TGA regulations.
pravastatin sodium tablets
Consumer Medicine Information
What is in this leaflet?
This medicine your doctor has prescribed for you is called Pravastatin generichealth. The information in this leaflet will answer some of the questions you may have about Pravastatin generichealth. This leaflet does not tell you everything about Pravastatin generichealth tablets. Your doctor and pharmacist have been provided with full information and can answer any questions you may have.
This leaflet is no substitute for talking with your doctor or pharmacist. You should follow all advice from your doctor when being treated with this medicine. This information is not intended to replace your doctor's advice.
You should read this leaflet carefully before starting Pravastatin generichealth and keep it in a safe place to refer to later.
What is Pravastatin generichealth used for?
Pravastatin generichealth is used to treat people who have had a heart attack or an episode of unstable angina, or who have high blood cholesterol levels. In these people Pravastatin generichealth can reduce the risk of further heart disease, reduce the possibility of needing a bypass operation, or reduce the risk of having a stroke.
Pravastatin generichealth lowers high blood cholesterol levels (doctors call this hypercholesterolaemia). It is also used if your cholesterol levels are normal if you have had a heart attack or an episode of unstable angina.
Pravastatin generichealth is used to treat heterozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia in children and adolescent patients aged 8 years and older as an adjunct to diet and lifestyle changes.
If you have had a heart attack, an episode of unstable angina or you have too much cholesterol in your blood, then you have an increased risk of a blood clot forming in your blood vessels and causing a blockage. Blood vessels that become blocked in this way can lead to further heart disease, angina or stroke.
Pravastatin generichealth may be used to lower lipids in heart or kidney transplant patients, who are also being given immunosuppressive medicine.
Pravastatin generichealth is used to treat long-term (chronic) conditions so it is important that you take Pravastatin generichealth every day.
How does Pravastatin generichealth work?
Pravastatin generichealth contains pravastatin sodium, a drug that reduces the level of cholesterol in your blood and helps to protect you in other ways from heart attack or stroke. It is more effective if it is taken with a diet low in fat.
What should I know before I take Pravastatin generichealth?
Before taking Pravastatin generichealth, you should be aware of the following:
You should not take Pravastatin Generichealth
- if you are or may become pregnant
- if you are breast feeding
- if you have ever had an allergic reaction to pravastatin sodium or any other ingredient listed at the end of this leaflet
- if you have ever had liver disease
- if you have had muscle pain from any other medicine used to treat high cholesterol
Do not give Pravastatin generichealth to any one else even if they have the same condition as you.
What should I tell my doctor before I take Pravastatin generichealth?
Before you take Pravastatin generichealth for the first time you should tell your doctor:
- If you are taking other medicines or treatment.
- If you drink alcohol regularly.
- If you have ever had liver problems.
- If you have a problem with your kidneys.
- If you are or may become pregnant.
- If you are breastfeeding.
- If you suffer from hormonal disorders.
- If you suffer from central nervous system vascular lesions.
- If you suffer from allergies.
- If you suffer from homozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia, (a doctor will have told you this).
- If you have increased triglycerides in your blood (a doctor will have told you this also).
- If you suffer from muscle disease (including pain, tenderness or weakness).
Should I take Pravastatin generichealth with other medicines?
Some medicines can affect the way Pravastatin generichealth works.
You should always tell your doctor about any other medicines you take, even those bought without a doctor's prescription. It is especially important that you tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following:
- any other medicine to lower cholesterol
- cholestyramine and colestipol
Please discuss these with your doctor if you need to take any of them.
Should I drive or operate machinery while taking Pravastatin generichealth?
Pravastatin generichealth generally does not interfere with your ability to drive or operate machinery. However some people may experience dizziness, so you should be sure how you react to Pravastatin generichealth before you drive a car, or operate machinery.
How should I take Pravastatin generichealth?
Pravastatin generichealth should only be used as directed by your doctor. Your doctor will decide on the dose of Pravastatin generichealth, this will depend on many factors including your cholesterol level. The dose for lowering cholesterol is 10 - 80 mg, and is 40 mg for reducing the possibility of a stroke or heart attack.
The recommended dose is 20 mg once daily for children 8 - 13 years of age and 40 mg once daily in adolescents 14 - 18 years of age, with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia.
Take Pravastatin generichealth once a day in the evening before bed-time. To help you to remember to take your tablet, take it at the same time each day.
If you forget to take a dose of Pravastatin generichealth, take the next dose normally at your usual time.
What side effects might Pravastatin generichealth cause?
All medicines, including Pravastatin generichealth, can sometimes cause unwanted effects. This is not an exhaustive list.
The most common side effects of Pravastatin generichealth are:
- upset stomach
If you have any of these side effects or any other problem while taking Pravastatin generichealth tell your doctor as soon as possible. Your doctor may arrange blood tests.
You must tell your doctor immediately, or go to the hospital, if you suffer any of the following: unexplained muscle pain, tenderness or weakness.
It is also possible to suffer from an allergic reaction to Pravastatin generichealth, so tell your doctor if you develop a skin rash or itchiness, fever, joint pain or shortness of breath.
What should I do if someone takes an overdose of Pravastatin generichealth?
Call your doctor immediately if you or someone else has taken too much Pravastatin generichealth. If your doctor is not available call your nearest hospital or a Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26.
Is there any other information that I should know about?
Pravastatin generichealth is not addictive or habit forming.
Pravastatin generichealth is only available upon prescription from your doctor.
How should I store Pravastatin generichealth?
Store Pravastatin generichealth below 25°C, protected from light and moisture.
Keep the tablets in the blister until it is time to take them.
The expiry date for Pravastatin generichealth is printed on the pack.
Do not take Pravastatin generichealth after the expiry date or if the tablets have changed in appearance colour or taste.
Ask your pharmacist about disposal of unused tablets.
Keep all medicines out of reach of children.
What it looks like
- Pravastatin generichealth 10 mg: Yellow coloured, capsule shaped, biconvex, film-coated tablets debossed with ‘10’ on one side and plain on the other side.
- Pravastatin generichealth 20 mg: Yellow coloured, capsule shaped, biconvex, film-coated tablets debossed with ‘20’ on one side and plain on the other side.
- Pravastatin generichealth 40 mg: Yellow coloured, capsule shaped, biconvex, film-coated tablets debossed with ‘40’ on one side and plain on the other side.
- Pravastatin generichealth 80 mg: Yellow coloured, oval shaped, biconvex, film-coated tablets debossed with ‘80’ on one side and ‘PRV’ on the other side.
Pravastatin generichealth tablets are supplied in blister packs containing 30 tablets.
- Pravastatin generichealth 10 mg - 10 mg pravastatin sodium
- Pravastatin generichealth 20 mg - 20 mg pravastatin sodium
- Pravastatin generichealth 40 mg - 40 mg pravastatin sodium
- Pravastatin generichealth 80 mg - 80 mg pravastatin sodium
Pravastatin generichealth also contains:
- sodium bicarbonate
- colloidal anhydrous silica
- magnesium stearate
- Opadry 03F52262 yellow
Generic Health Pty Ltd
Suite 1, Level 1, 1175 Toorak Road
Camberwell Victoria 3124
Australian Registration Numbers:
Pravastatin generichealth tablets 10 mg; AUST R 139595
Pravastatin generichealth tablets 20 mg; AUST R 139600
Pravastatin generichealth tablets 40 mg; AUST R 139601
Pravastatin generichealth tablets 80 mg; AUST R 139602
Date of preparation:
11 September 2012
CMI provided by MIMS Australia, October 2015