Antibiotics in respiratory tract infections - key points
We are facing the potential of a future with no effective antibiotic treatments.
- Antibiotic resistance requires consideration at both a population and individual level — consider antibiotic resistance whenever you are contemplating antibiotics as a treatment option for RTIs.
- Establish patient beliefs and expectations about antibiotics for acute RTI and tailor communication strategies accordingly.
- Encourage self-management of acute RTIs and explain why antibiotics may not be appropriate.
- Consider the usefulness and associated risks of imaging before ordering an imaging test for your patient.
- Effective patient communication can improve antibiotic prescribing.