Who can take amoxycillin with clavulanic acid?
Things to tell your doctor before taking amoxycillin with clavulanic acid
It is important to tell your health professional if you:
- are taking any other medicines
- have a current illness
- have any allergies to food or other medicines
- have any long-term health conditions (e.g. liver or kidney problems).
This will help your health professional decide if amoxycillin with clavulanic acid is suitable for you.
Amoxycillin and allergic reactions
If you or your child has ever had an allergic reaction with symptoms such as hives, fever, breathing problems or anaphylactic shock when taking amoxycillin or any other antibiotic in the past, you must tell your doctor. This may mean that you have to take an alternative type of antibiotic.
Can I take amoxycillin with clavulanic acid if I am pregnant?
Amoxycillin with clavulanic acid can be taken during pregnancy if you are not allergic to amoxycillin or penicillin antibiotics.
Can I take amoxycillin with clavulanic acid if I am breastfeeding?
Amoxycillin with clavulanic acid can be taken if you are breastfeeding and you are not allergic to amoxycillin or penicillin antibiotics, but it may cause diarrhoea in your baby.
Find out more about the infections amoxycillin with clavulanic acid is used for, and its side effects and interactions.
Phone for medicines information
Call NPS Medicines Line on 1300 MEDICINE (1300 633 424) to get information about your prescription, over-the-counter and complementary medicines (herbal, ‘natural’, vitamins and mineral supplements) from a pharmacist. Your call will be answered by healthdirect Australia.
- Rossi S, ed. Australian Medicines Handbook [online]. Adelaide: AMH, July 2012.
- Sweetman S, ed. Martindale: The complete drug reference [online]. London: Pharmaceutical Press (accessed 18 October 2011).
- Antibiotic Expert Group. Therapeutic Guidelines: Amoxycillin plus clavulanate. Melbourne: Therapeutic Guidelines Limited, 2012 (accessed 24 February2012).