Resolve Thrush Cream
Resolve Thrush Cream is a brand of medicine containing the active ingredient miconazole (vaginal medicines (topical)).
Find out more about active ingredients.
Consumer medicine information (CMI) leaflet
Developed by the pharmaceutical company responsible for this medicine in Australia, according to TGA regulations.
Consumer Medicine Information
What is in this leaflet
This leaflet answers some common questions about Resolve Thrush. It does not contain all the available information.
It does not take the place of talking to your doctor or pharmacist.
If you have any concerns about this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Keep this leaflet with your medicine. You may need to read it again.
What Resolve Thrush is used for
Resolve Thrush is for the treatment of fungal infections of the vagina such as thrush, also known as candidiasis. Candidiasis is usually caused by a yeast-like fungus called Candida albicans, but occasionally by other types of Candida. Candida albicans is normally found in the mouth, intestinal tract and female genital area where it is usually harmless until something upsets the body's 'ecosystem'.
Candida infection of the vagina is a very common complaint in women of child bearing age or at menopause. The common symptoms are a vaginal discharge, itch and a burning feeling.
Several factors that can imbalance the 'ecosystem' and increase the chance of
Candida infections are:
- Hormonal changes - such as those that occur during pregnancy, menopause or with the use of oral contraceptives,
- Antibiotics - after a course of antibiotics, which kill the normal bacteria that keep Candida in check,
- Clothing - non-ventilating or chaffing clothes such as nylon underwear, pantyhose and other tight fitting garments can create the right conditions for Candida to develop,
- Other conditions - diabetes, lowered immunity, and hot weather.
Resolve Thrush contains miconazole nitrate which belongs to a group of anti-fungal agents known as imidazoles.
The treatment of candidiasis is simple and usually effective if the instructions are carefully followed.
It is important to follow the whole course of treatment, even after the symptoms have eased.
Before you use Resolve Thrush
When you must not use it
Do not use Resolve Thrush if:
- you are allergic to miconazole nitrate or phenethyl alcohol;
- the packaging is torn or the tempering evident seal is broken;
- the expiry date printed on the pack has passed.
Before you start to use it
Seek medical advice before first course of treatment.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if:
- you have any allergies to any other medicine or any other substances such as foods, preservatives or dyes.
- you are a diabetic.
- you are pregnant or intend to become pregnant
Your doctor will discuss the risks and benefits of using Resolve Thrush when pregnant.
- you are breast-feeding or intend to breast-feed
Your doctor will discuss the risks and benefits of using Resolve Thrush when breast-feeding.
Taking other medicines
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking the prescription blood thinning medicine warfarin. Bleeding or bruising may occur.
How to use Resolve Thrush
Follow all directions given to you by your doctor and pharmacist carefully. They may differ from the information contained in this leaflet.
If you do not understand the instructions in this leaflet, ask your doctor or pharmacist for help.
How much to use
Resolve Thrush should be used once a day for 7 days, using one of the disposable applicators provided. The most convenient time to use Resolve Thrush is at night, just before going to bed.
How to use it
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Remove cap from tube.
- Attach open end of applicator onto tip of tube. See leaflet in pack for diagram A.
- Gently squeeze tube to fill applicator until resistance is felt. Applicator plunger should be extended about 10 centimetres out of applicator. See leaflet in pack for diagram B.
- Remove applicator from tube, then replace cap on tube.
- Lie down on your back with your knees bent. Hold the applicator by the cylinder and gently insert it into your vagina as deeply as is comfortably possible. See leaflet in pack for diagram C.
- Hold the applicator in position and slowly push the plunger with your forefinger until it stops. Now the cream is in your vagina. See leaflet in pack for diagram C.
- Remove the applicator from your vagina and discard it.
Each applicator is for one use only.
How long to use it
You should use Resolve Thrush for 7 days.
You should start to feel more comfortable after 2-3 days. It is important that even though you are feeling better that you use Resolve Thrush for the full 7 days.
See a doctor if you are not better after 7 days.
See a doctor if the problem returns.
If you forget to use it
If you forget to use Resolve Thrush, use it as soon as you remember, and then go back to using it as you would normally. Do not try to make up for the amount you missed by using more than you would normally use.
If you swallow it
Immediately telephone your doctor or Poisons Information Centre, if you think that you or anyone else may have swallowed Resolve Thrush. Poisons Information Centre:13 11 26 (Australia), 03 474 7000 (New Zealand)
While you are using Resolve Thrush
Things you must do
Tell all doctors and pharmacists who are treating you that you are using Resolve Thrush.
If you feel that Resolve Thrush is not helping your condition, tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if, for any reason, you have not used Resolve Thrush exactly as prescribed. Otherwise, your doctor or pharmacist may think that it was not effective and change your treatment unnecessarily.
If you become pregnant while using Resolve Thrush, tell your doctor or pharmacist.
A few simple steps can help prevent the possibility of reinfection:
- Always wash your hands thoroughly before and after inserting the applicator into your vagina,
- After urinating, the toilet tissue should be used as a blotter, rather than used with a forward and backward motion,
- After a bowel movement, always wipe away from your vagina,
- Underwear, towels and linen should be changed daily.
Your doctor or pharmacist should be consulted as to the advisability of sexual intercourse during treatment. Care should be taken when using latex contraceptive devices.
During pregnancy, you should only use the applicator on the advice of your doctor. If you are pregnant, strictly follow the instructions of your doctor.
If you have your menstrual period during the course of treatment you should continue to use Resolve Thrush. It is advisable to use sanitary napkins and not tampons.
Things you must not do
Do not use in or near the eyes.
Do not give Resolve Thrush to anyone else, even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
Do not use Resolve Thrush to treat other complaints unless your doctor or pharmacist tells you to.
Check with your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible if you have any problems while using Resolve Thrush, even if you do not think the problems are connected with the medicine or are not listed in this leaflet. Like other medicines, Resolve Thrush can cause some side effects. If they occur, most are likely to be minor and temporary. However, some may be serious and need medical attention.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist to answer any questions you may have.
After using Resolve Thrush
Keep Resolve Thrush in a cool dry place where the temperature stays below 30 °C. Do not store Resolve Thrush in the car or on window sills. Heat can destroy some medicines.
Keep Resolve Thrush where young children cannot reach it. A locked cupboard at least one-and-a-half metres above the ground is a good place to store medicines.
If your doctor tells you to stop using Resolve Thrush or it has passed its expiry date, ask your pharmacist what to do with any that is left over.
What it looks like
Resolve Thrush is a white glossy cream in tubes of 40 g.
Miconazole nitrate 2% w/w.
EGO PHARMACEUTICALS PTY. LTD.
21-31 Malcolm Road, Braeside, 3195.
AUST R 52842
This leaflet was prepared on 30 September 2003
'Ego' and 'Resolve' are Trade Marks of Ego Pharmaceuticals Pty. Ltd.
PO Box 1110
Cazacor Trading Limited
26A Larnaca Avenue
2101 Aglandjia, Nicosia
HONG KONG, GUANGDONG & MACAU
Flat G, 7/F Valiant Industrial Centre
2-12 Au Pui Wan Street
Fo Tan, Shatin, NT
PT Mahakam Beta Farma
Jl Pulokambing II No 20
Jakarta, Timur 13930
Munir Sukhtian Group Ltd
PO Box 1027
Amman 11118, Jordan
Maseela Pharmaceuticals Co Ltd
PO Box 26596
Safat 13126, Kuwait
MALAYSIA & BRUNEI
Somedico Sdn Bhd
68 Jalan SS 21/39, Damansara Utama
47400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Bella Vista Court
Bella Vista Street
San Gwann SGN03
Douglas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
PO Box 45027, Auckland 8
PAPUA NEW GUINEA, FIJI & SOUTH WEST PACIFIC
PO Box 133, Red Hill
PO Box 991
Grafton Pharmasia Pte Ltd
66 Tannery Lane
36 Bristol Street
Colombo 11, Sri Lanka
Yung Hung Hong
8F, 58 Ming Chuan E. Rd
Sec 3, Taipei
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Al Muhairy General Trading Co
PO Box 26288
United Arab Emirates
CMI provided by MIMS Australia, December 2014