Top five key messages about type 2 diabetes
Published in NPS Direct
Date published: About this date
1. Priorities and targets
- Address blood pressure and lipids.
- Individualise blood glucose targets based on patient factors and duration of disease.
- Consider the effectiveness of glucose-lowering medicines in reducing diabetes-related complications and mortality.
2. Reduce risk of cardiovascular disease
Having type 2 diabetes more than doubles the risk of dying from a cardiovascular event. Tight glycaemic control helps prevent the development of long-term cardiovascular events in people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
3. Case study: intensifying glycaemic control
This case study is a free educational activity for health professionals. Answer the questions on a clinical scenario and you will receive a feedback report providing a snapshot of your colleagues' responses, evidence-based practice points and an expert commentary.
4. Online Clinical e-AuditWe are currently working on a new online Clinical e-Audit on diabetes. This will be available from December 2012. Participation enables you to review your current practice, consider implementing changes and reflect on areas for ongoing improvement.
5. Useful patient resourcesThe NPS website has extensive consumer resources on diabetes. Patients can find more information about medicines and positive lifestyle changes or view a video about diabetes, how it is managed and how to keep in the best possible health.