The parents of an 18-month-old girl with croup called the Victorian Poisons Information Centre (VPIC) when they realised they had given their daughter three doses of prednisolone mixture during the day instead of one dose. She was also receiving amoxycillin syrup three times daily for an unknown indication.
The child had no symptoms of prednisolone toxicity. The parents were reassured that the child would be fine, although she might experience some mild gastrointestinal upset and be a bit irritable or difficult to settle.
To reduce dosing errors with prednisolone, we suggest that prescribers explain to parents that this mixture is only given once a day. We also suggest that pharmacists carefully consider the label instructions and reinforce them with verbal counselling. For example: ‘Give the child 3 mL once daily in the morning. The dose is best given after breakfast.’
Conflict of interest: none declared