A 43-year-old woman presented with epigastric pain and tenderness nine days after completing her second cycle of chemotherapy for a temporoparietal lymphoma. She was prescribed omeprazole 20 mg twice a day.
Two days later, after three doses of omeprazole, the patient complained of nausea, weakness and feeling twitchy. Physical examination was unremarkable, but her serum sodium concentration had fallen from its pre-treatment value of 138 to 117 mmol/L. Her serum urate was 0.12 mmol/L, urine sodium was 35 mmol/L and urine osmolality 615 mmol/L. Plasma glucose and tests of thyroid, adrenal and renal function were normal. This is consistent with the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion.
The patient was given one litre of hypertonic saline over 24 hours and was placed on fluid restrictions. The omeprazole was ceased. Within three days her sodium concentration had returned to normal and has remained so over the ensuing eight months without fluid restrictions.
This is a rare adverse drug reaction, but it is included in the product information of omeprazole. As our patient developed hyponatraemia after three doses, this adverse reaction needs to be considered whenever there is clinical deterioration even after brief exposure to a proton pump inhibitor.
- Top ten drugs. Aust Prescr 2005;28:37.
- Fort E, Laurin C, Baroudi A, Liebaert-Bories MP, Strock P. Lansoprazole-induced hyponatremia. Gastroenterol Clin Biol 2000;24:686. [French]
- Bechade D, Algayres JP, Henrionnet A, Texier F, Bili H, Coutant G, et al. Secondary hyponatremia caused by omeprazole treatment. Gastroenterol Clin Biol 2000;24:684-5. [French]
- Shiba S, Sugiura K, Ebata A, Kagaya T, Tomori G, Marumo F, et al. Hyponatremia with consciousness disturbance caused by omeprazole administration. A case report and literature review. Dig Dis Sci 1996;41:1615-7.
- Durst RY, Pipek R, Levy Y. Hyponatremia caused by omeprazole treatment. Am J Med 1994;97:400-1.
- Gonthier R, Bouchou K, Guy C, Cathebras P, Rousset H. Severe hyponatremia induced by meprazole. Presse Med 1993;22:176. [French]
- Kaloustian E, Veyssier P. Severe hyponatremia: possible role of omeprazole. Presse Med 1992;21:907-8. [French]
- Melville C, Shah A, Matthew D, Milla P. Electrolyte disturbance with omeprazole therapy. Eur J Pediatr 1994;153:49-51.
- Fourlanos S, Greenberg P. Managing drug-induced hyponatraemia in adults. Aust Prescr 2003;26:114-7..