Manage a patient presenting with an episode of acute shortness of breath on a background of chronic heart failure.
The National Prescribing Curriculum (NPC) is a series of interactive case-based modules that encourage confident and rational prescribing. The modules follow a stepwise approach as outlined in the WHO's Guide to Good Prescribing.
In this module you will manage a patient presenting with an episode of acute shortness of breath on a background of chronic heart failure.
- Identify therapeutic goals in the management of acute pulmonary oedema.
- Identify factors that can precipitate an exacerbation of heart failure.
- Write a prescription for medicines to manage acute pulmonary oedema.
- Choose appropriate clinical criteria for monitoring a patient with acute pulmonary oedema.
- Identify aspects of care that need to be communicated to the patient and the healthcare team.