Provide care for James, who suffers acute withdrawal from alcohol while in hospital recovering from pneumonia.
The National Prescribing Curriculum (NPC) is a series of interactive case-based modules that encourage confident and rational prescribing. The modules follow a stepwise approach as outlined in the WHO's Guide to Good Prescribing.
In this module you will provide care for James, who suffers acute withdrawal from alcohol while in hospital recovering from pneumonia.
- Identify symptoms of alcohol withdrawal.
- Formulate a suitable management plan for a patient suffering alcohol withdrawal.
- Identify non-pharmacological interventions that may assist with the management of alcohol withdrawal.
- Prescribe an appropriate medicine to manage acute alcohol withdrawal and alcohol withdrawal delirium.
- Describe how to monitor the patient’s response to treatment.