Manage confusion arising during an exacerbation of an elderly patient's chronic heart failure.
The National Prescribing Curriculum (NPC) is a series of interactive case-based modules that encourage confident and rational prescribing. The modules follow a stepwise approach as outlined in the WHO's Guide to Good Prescribing.
In this module, you will manage confusion arising during an exacerbation of an elderly patient's chronic heart failure.
- Identify common causes of delirium in elderly patients.
- Formulate an acute management plan for an elderly patient with confusion.
- Identify appropriate non-pharmacological interventions to manage a patient with delirium.
- Choose an appropriate short-term pharmacological intervention for managing delirium and write a prescription for the chosen medicine.
- Describe how to monitor response to treatment in a patient with confusion.
- Identify key information to be communicated to the patient, their carers and general practitioner (GP) on discharge.