This module is designed to explain the role of bioequivalence in generic medicines development and to assist health professionals to feel confident explaining these principles to patients.
In Australia, generic products must be bioequivalent to the innovator brand name product before they are approved.
As a health professional, you play a key role in helping patients understand any real or perceived differences between different brands of medicines.
Participation in this activity will assist you to:
- define the concept of bioequivalence
- answer key scientific questions about:
- the quality and efficacy of bioequivalent products
- the role of bioequivalence within regulatory and international standards
- real and perceived differences between bioequivalent products
- address health professional and patient concerns and common misconceptions.