Provide care for Margaret, a patient who presents to you for a repeat prescription for temazepam.
The National Prescribing Curriculum (NPC) is a series of interactive case-based modules that encourage confident and rational prescribing. The modules follow a stepwise approach as outlined in the WHO's Guide to Good Prescribing.
In this module you will provide care for Margaret, a patient who presents to you for a repeat prescription for temazepam.
- Identify and address causes and exacerbating factors for insomnia.
- Outline the role of non-pharmacological interventions for the management of insomnia.
- Understand the principles of psychological and behavioural interventions.
- Discuss the risks of using hypnotic medicines in the treatment of insomnia.
- Describe a plan for withdrawing benzodiazepines.