- 8 March 2021
Episode 24: Opioids special #2: Non-pharmacological management options for chronic non-cancer pain
- 8 March 2021
In this special edition of the NPS MedicineWise podcast, Dr Jill Thistlethwaite talks with Dr Tania Gardner, senior physiotherapist with St Vincent's Hospital’s ‘Reboot Online’ Pain Management Program, and Ms Sarah Fowler, a member of Painaustralia’s Consumer Advisory Group, about the non-pharmacological treatment options for patients with chronic non-cancer pain. The discussion draws from Sarah’s consumer experience and outlines effective strategies for motivating patients to actively participate in the shared-decision making process with their health professional. This podcast was developed with funding from the Therapeutic Goods Administration, Australian Government Department of Health.
- Opioids, chronic pain and the bigger picture (NPS MedicineWise resources for health professionals): https://www.nps.org.au/professionals/opioids-chronic-pain
- MedicineWise News: If not opioids then what?
- NPS MedicineWise series of communication videos about opioids and chronic non-cancer pain: https://www.nps.org.au/opioids-communication-videos
- TGA Prescription Opioids Hub: https://www.tga.gov.au/hubs/prescription-opioids
- St Vincent’s Hospital’s ‘This Way Up’ online courses (including the ‘Reboot Online’ Pain Management Program):
- Agency for Clinical Innovation (ACI) Pain Management Network: https://www.aci.health.nsw.gov.au/chronic-pain
- Free ‘Better Pain Prescribing’ course from the Faculty of Pain Medicine (FPM), Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists (ANZCA): https://www.betterpainmanagement.com/product?catalog=TGA-BPM