What is NPS RADAR?
NPS RADAR gives health professionals evidence-based information on changes to listings in the Schedule of Pharmaceutical Benefits or Medicare Benefits Schedule, to help you:
- assess how a new drug or test might (or might not) fit with your current treatment.
- understand how the drug/test compares with existing therapies/tests.
- understand why a drug/test has a particular PBS/MBS listing, eg, if a drug is a Restricted Benefit or requires an Authority, we describe the evidence for benefit and harm behind these restrictions.
- be aware of key issues when prescribing new drugs/tests.
- assess recent published clinical research that may strongly influence the choice and use of medicines/tests, through our commentaries on what that research means.
Information when you need it
NPS RADAR articles are published when major changes to the PBS or MBS take effect. The articles help inform practice around newly listed medicines and tests, and provide readers with up-to-date information on listing changes that can impact prescribing, dispensing and the use of diagnostics. Subscribe to RADAR for updates as they are published.
Independent and expert reviews
NPS RADAR is independently reviewed by experts in clinical medicine, academics, pharmaceutical industry representatives, independent drug information providers, and government.
Comment is also sought from the company Sponsor who made the submission. Sponsors are invited to provide NPS with the information that supported their submission.
Declarations of interest are sought from all reviewers and NPS MedicineWise makes independent editorial decisions on all information provided in NPS RADAR.
NPS RADAR is produced by NPS MedicineWise as part of its commitment to Quality Use of Medicines and Medical Tests.
Look for NPS RADAR in your prescribing software
NPS RADAR reviews are available on GP desktops in major prescribing packages – Medical Director, Best Practice, Genie and Medtech32. Every time you update your prescribing software you'll be updating your NPS RADAR information.
Because of lead-in times, some reviews may be published online before they are available in your software – subscribe to our free RADAR Direct e-alert to make sure you receive the most up-to-date reviews as they are published.
You can find NPS RADAR in your prescribing software by:
- clicking on the NPS RADAR button at the bottom of your prescribing screen when you're selecting a medicine to prescribe,
- going to the NPS RADAR browser in your prescribing software any time you wish to look up new drug information.
If you have:
- Medical Director 2 - look for NPS RADAR under the Resources menu
- Best Practice - look under View
- Genie - look under Open
- Medtech32 - look under Module/Clinical