National Prescribing Curriculum
Analgesia for low back pain
Provide care for Maria, a patient at your general practice who asks for help to manage her acute low back pain.
The National Prescribing Curriculum (NPC) is a series of interactive case-based modules that encourage confident and rational prescribing. The modules follow a stepwise approach as outlined in the WHO's Guide to Good Prescribing.
In this module you will provide care for Maria, a patient at your general practice who asks for help to manage her acute low back pain.
On completion of this module, you should be able to:
- identify therapeutic goals in managing low back pain
- establish non-pharmacological treatment modalities used to manage low back pain
- use a step-wise approach to managing low back pain with medicines
- discuss common adverse effects of medicines used for the management of low back pain
- identify contraindications and drug interactions for medicines used for the treatment of low back pain.