Focus on anticholinergic burden
How much do you regard anticholinergic burden as an issue that needs your attention?
Identifying and managing medicines with anticholinergic effects can be challenging, as many are not thought of as having these effects.
GPs play a key role in the safe use of medicines with anticholinergic effects.
- Webinar: Reducing the burden of medicines with anticholinergic effects on older people
- Webinar: Falls, confusion and other issues. Could medicines with anticholinergic effects be the cause?
- Online case study for pharmacists and nurses: Anticholinergic burden: Reducing the impact on older people
- Online Course for pharmacists: Anticholinergic burden - Pharmacist CPD bundle
Resources to use with your patients
- Factsheet (English): Side effects from your medicines? 5 questions to ask (anticholinergic side effects)
- Factsheet (English): How a medicines review can help you get the most from your medicines
- Decision aid: Exploring my options: When my medicines may be causing side effects (anticholinergic side effects)Text version
- Action plan: Planning for a change: When my medicines may be causing side effects (anticholinergic side effects)
Resources to use with your Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients
At NPS MedicineWise, we acknowledge the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the traditional owners of the lands across Australia. We pay our respects to their Elders past, present and emerging.
These resources have been developed in partnership with the National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO):
Resources in community languages
NPS MedicineWise has developed resources in a range of languages.
Research and references
Choosing Wisely Australia
Choosing Wisely Australia helps healthcare providers and consumers have important conversations about improving the quality of healthcare by reducing unnecessary and sometimes harmful tests, treatments, and procedures.
5 questions to ask your doctor or other healthcare provider is a resource that can help patients ensure they end up with the right amount of care.
Reducing anticholinergic burden: Framework for action
This briefing paper provides key insights about anticholinergic burden, including the scale of the issue, clinical practice challenges and barriers to reducing anticholinergic burden, and current programs and activities that are addressing the problem.
The aim of the briefing paper is to build momentum for shared action to address anticholinergic burden.