Prescribe appropriate anticoagulation for a patient with non-valvular atrial fibrillation (AF).
The National Prescribing Curriculum (NPC) is a series of interactive case-based modules that encourage confident and rational prescribing. The modules follow a stepwise approach as outlined in the WHO's Guide to Good Prescribing.
In this module you will prescribe appropriate anticoagulation for a patient with non-valvular atrial fibrillation (AF).
- Recommend appropriate stroke prophylaxis for a patient with non-valvular AF after considering their risk of stroke and bleeding.
- Describe the stroke risk reduction provided by anticoagulants and antiplatelets in the setting of non-valvular AF.
- Understand the bleeding risk associated with the different anticoagulants and antiplatelets in AF.
- Discuss absolute and relative contraindications to warfarin therapy.
- Understand the risks and benefits of anticoagulation therapy using direct thrombin inhibitors and factor Xa inhibitors.