Provide care for Amy, a patient attending your general practice for a routine checkup of her diabetes.
The National Prescribing Curriculum (NPC) is a series of interactive case-based modules that encourage confident and rational prescribing. The modules follow a stepwise approach as outlined in the WHO's Guide to Good Prescribing.
In this module you will provide care for Amy, a patient attending your general practice for a routine checkup of her diabetes.
- Outline the role of lifestyle intervention in the ongoing management of diabetes.
- Demonstrate an understanding of metformin as monotherapy and in combination therapy.
- Understand the actions and side effects of add-on medicines and their place in therapy.
- Understand the benefit of initiating therapy with insulin early and describe common barriers to insulin therapy.
- Select appropriate insulin therapy and develop a plan to monitor associated adverse effects.