Provide care for Jeanne, who is brought to the Emergency Department (ED) by ambulance following a seizure.
The National Prescribing Curriculum (NPC) is a series of interactive case-based modules that encourage confident and rational prescribing. The modules follow a stepwise approach as outlined in the WHO's Guide to Good Prescribing.
In this module you will provide care for Jeanne, who is brought to the Emergency Department (ED) by ambulance following a seizure.
- Outline the initial pharmacological management of generalised seizures and partial seizures.
- Identify long-term goals in the management of epilepsy.
- Write a prescription for the medicine you wish to prescribe.
- Provide verbal and written information about medicines to the patient and the healthcare team.
- Explain when monitoring of plasma drug concentrations is indicated.
- Discuss concerns about using antiepileptic medicines in women of child-bearing potential.