Statins: who, when and how?
Review your approach to the use of statins in the context of cardiovascular (CV) risk, and the assessment and management of suspected statin-associated muscle symptoms.
This activity has been accredited for 40 (Category 1) points (QI activity) in the RACGP QI&CPD Program for the 2017–2019 triennium (activity ID number 105864).
This activity has been accredited for 30 PRPD points in the ACRRM PDP Program for the 2017–2019 triennium (activity code 10029).
Recognised for the Practice Incentives Program Quality Prescribing Incentive (PIP QPI)
Almost 1 million Australians aged 45–74 years, who are at high cardiovascular (CV) risk, are not prescribed lipid-modifying and BP-lowering medicines as recommended.
This Clinical e-Audit will help you reflect on the individual management of your patients by guiding you to identify:
- Who would benefit most from statin treatment
- When to start statin treatment and the importance of CV risk assessment in the decision
- How to implement a systematic approach to improve adherence, and assess and manage suspected statin-associated adverse effects.
Our Clinical e-Audits are free quality improvement activities that help GPs review their current prescribing practice for patients with certain conditions, compared with current best practice guidelines.
- completing electronic data collection for 10 patients
- securely submitting de-identified data online
- receiving immediate patient-specific feedback to assist implementation of changes to practice
- reviewing individual and peer feedback results based on best practice clinical indicators
- recording progress of individual patients automatically identified for review
- reflecting on improvements in practice.
Participation in this activity will assist you to:
- recognise the importance of managing lipid levels in the context of absolute CV risk
- outline ways to optimise statin treatment to achieve lipid targets
- implement a systematic approach to manage, and assess adverse effects of statins
- identify strategies to improve adherence to lipid-modifying treatment and ensure an adequate trial
- describe when to add a second lipid-modifying medicine to treatment, based on guidelines.
- have access to a summary of best practice recommendations
- receive practical advice to provide to your patients
- create a management plan for each patient
- receive immediate feedback and be able to compare your results with those of your peers.