Asthma: unlocking inhaler technique
The majority of patients do not use their asthma inhaler device correctly – engage them with conversations and demonstrations of correct technique.
It is recommended that 1 CPD hour be recorded for the purposes of self-directed CPD.
The majority of patients do not use their asthma inhaler device correctly. This can lead to insufficient drug delivery to the airways that is associated with poor asthma control.
While appearing straightforward, the correct use of an inhaler involves a series of steps, all of which need to be performed accurately to ensure the right amount of medicine is delivered with minimal adverse effects. Health professionals play a key role helping patients and customers use their asthma inhaler correctly.
This online course assists health professionals to engage their patients and customers in a guided conversation about their inhaler technique and demonstrate correct technique using a specific methodology.
By completing this activity participants should be able to:
- Suggest appropriate methods to initiate asthma inhaler technique conversations
- Explain the preferred method for skill instruction
- List the four key steps of the preferred technique for skill demonstration
- Explain correct asthma inhaler device technique according to manufacturer instructions
- Identify commonly observed asthma inhaler errors