Explore common secondary causes of osteoporosis and how to prevent fractures with this free CPD case study from NPS.
Accredited by RACGP for 2 (Category 2) points for GPsToggle information
This activity has been accredited for 2 (Category 2) points in the RACGP QI & CPD Program for the 2017 - 2019 triennium (activity number 92242).
Accredited by ACRRM for 1 Core point for GPsToggle information
This activity has been accredited by ACRRM for 1 Core point in the ACRRM PD Program for the 2017–2019 triennium (ACRRM ID: 9081).
- Recognised for the Practice Incentives Program Quality Prescribing Incentive (PIP QPI)
Richard, 57, was recently discharged from hospital after admission for an infective exacerbation of COPD. During his stay, a chest X-ray revealed a vertebral fracture.
How would you investigate Richard's risk factors for osteoporosis? What treatment options are available for Richard? How can you help improve adherence to medicines?
Complete this case study at your convenience on the device of your choice (computer, tablet or smartphone). Receive instant feedback, compare your approach to that of your peers and read expert commentary provided by leading Australian endocrinologist Professor John Eisman.
On completion of this case study, you should be able to:
- implement a systematic approach to assess, manage and monitor osteoporotic fracture risk
- recognise risk factors for osteoporotic fractures to determine those requiring investigation
- recognise secondary causes of osteoporosis for prevention of osteoporosis or management of osteoporotic fracture risk
- outline management options for those at increased risk of osteoporotic fractures (the role of lifestyle as a complement to pharmacotherapy)
- identify strategies to promote adherence to management in patients being treated for osteoporosis.