Explore common secondary causes of osteoporosis and how to prevent fractures with this free CPD case study from NPS.
Self-recorded CPDToggle information
It is recommended that 1 CPD hour be recorded for the purposes of self-directed CPD.
Richard, 57, was recently discharged from hospital after admission for an infective exacerbation of COPD. During his stay, a chest X-ray revealed a vertebral fracture.
How would you investigate Richard's risk factors for osteoporosis? What treatment options are available for Richard? How can you help improve adherence to medicines?
Complete this case study at your convenience on the device of your choice (computer, tablet or smartphone). Receive instant feedback, compare your approach to that of your peers and read expert commentary provided by leading Australian endocrinologist Professor John Eisman.
On completion of this case study, you should be able to:
- implement a systematic approach to assess, manage and monitor osteoporotic fracture risk
- recognise risk factors for osteoporotic fractures to determine those requiring investigation
- recognise secondary causes of osteoporosis for prevention of osteoporosis or management of osteoporotic fracture risk
- outline management options for those at increased risk of osteoporotic fractures (the role of lifestyle as a complement to pharmacotherapy)
- identify strategies to promote adherence to management in patients being treated for osteoporosis.