Statins: who, when and how?
Review your approach to the use of statins in the context of cardiovascular (CV) risk, and the assessment and management of suspected statin-associated muscle symptoms.
This activity has been accredited for 40 points (CPD Accredited Activity) under the RACGP CPD Program for the 2020–2022 triennium (activity number: 184826).
This activity has been accredited for 6 hours under the outcome measurement category in the ACRRM PD Program for the 2020–2022 triennium (activity code: 18581).
Almost 1 million Australians aged 45–74 years, who are at high cardiovascular (CV) risk, are not prescribed lipid-modifying and BP-lowering medicines as recommended.
This Clinical e-Audit will help you reflect on the individual management of your patients by guiding you to identify:
- Who would benefit most from statin treatment
- When to start statin treatment and the importance of CV risk assessment in the decision
- How to implement a systematic approach to improve adherence, and assess and manage suspected statin-associated adverse effects.
Our Clinical e-Audits are free quality improvement activities that help GPs review their current prescribing practice for patients with certain conditions, compared with current best practice guidelines.
- completing electronic data collection for 10 patients
- securely submitting de-identified data online
- receiving immediate patient-specific feedback to assist implementation of changes to practice
- reviewing individual and peer feedback results based on best practice clinical indicators
- recording progress of individual patients automatically identified for review
- reflecting on improvements in practice.
Participation in this activity will assist you to:
- manage lipid levels in the context of absolute CV risk
- review processes to optimise statin treatment to achieve lipid targets
- review and optimise processes for assessment and management of adverse effects of statins
- implement strategies to improve adherence to lipid-modifying treatment and ensure an adequate trial
- identify when to add a second lipid-modifying medicine to statin treatment based on guidelines.
- have access to a summary of best practice recommendations
- receive practical advice to provide to your patients
- create a management plan for each patient
- receive immediate feedback and be able to compare your results with those of your peers.