Statins: who, when and how?
Review your approach to the use of statins in the context of cardiovascular (CV) risk, and the assessment and management of suspected statin-associated muscle symptoms.
New enrolments closed
From September 2021, we will be decommissioning all current Clinical e-Audits and transitioning to a new audit and feedback activity. New enrolments to all Clinical e-Audits are now closed. Current enrolees should complete and submit all phases by 31 August 2021 to receive CPD points.
This activity has been accredited for 40 points (CPD Accredited Activity) under the RACGP CPD Program for the 2020–2022 triennium (activity number: 184826).
This activity has been accredited for 6 hours under the outcome measurement category in the ACRRM PD Program for the 2020–2022 triennium (activity code: 18581).
Almost 1 million Australians aged 45–74 years, who are at high cardiovascular (CV) risk, are not prescribed lipid-modifying and BP-lowering medicines as recommended.
This Clinical e-Audit will help you reflect on the individual management of your patients by guiding you to identify:
- Who would benefit most from statin treatment
- When to start statin treatment and the importance of CV risk assessment in the decision
- How to implement a systematic approach to improve adherence, and assess and manage suspected statin-associated adverse effects.
Our Clinical e-Audits are free quality improvement activities that help GPs review their current prescribing practice for patients with certain conditions, compared with current best practice guidelines.
- completing electronic data collection for 10 patients
- securely submitting de-identified data online
- receiving immediate patient-specific feedback to assist implementation of changes to practice
- reviewing individual and peer feedback results based on best practice clinical indicators
- recording progress of individual patients automatically identified for review
- reflecting on improvements in practice.
Participation in this activity will assist you to:
- manage lipid levels in the context of absolute CV risk
- review processes to optimise statin treatment to achieve lipid targets
- review and optimise processes for assessment and management of adverse effects of statins
- implement strategies to improve adherence to lipid-modifying treatment and ensure an adequate trial
- identify when to add a second lipid-modifying medicine to statin treatment based on guidelines.
- have access to a summary of best practice recommendations
- receive practical advice to provide to your patients
- create a management plan for each patient
- receive immediate feedback and be able to compare your results with those of your peers.