- Brand name
- Clonea Clotrimazole Thrush Treatment 3 Day Cream
- Active ingredient
Consumer medicine information (CMI) leaflet
Please read this leaflet carefully before you start using Clonea Clotrimazole Thrush Treatment 3 Day Cream.Download CMI (PDF) Download large text CMI (PDF)
What is in this leaflet
This leaflet answers some common questions about Clonea Clotrimazole Thrush Treatment 3 Day Cream.
It does not contain all of the available information.
It does not take the place of talking to your doctor or pharmacist.
All medicines have benefits and risks. Your doctor or pharmacist has weighed the risks of you using this medicine against the benefits expected for you.
If you have any concerns about using this medicine, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Keep this leaflet with your medicine. You may need to read it again.
What is Clonea Clotrimazole Thrush Treatment 3 Day Cream and what is it used for?
Clonea Clotrimazole Thrush Treatment 3 Day Cream belongs to a class of drugs called antifungals and is used to treat the vaginal yeast infection known as Candida. Candida infections result from an overgrowth of yeast fungus and cause an imbalance of the natural microorganisms that are present in the vagina. Certain illnesses such as diabetes, obesity, and fatigue can increase the likelihood of infection. Additionally hormonal changes during pregnancy, during certain times of the menstrual cycle, or due to the oral contraceptive pill, may also increase the chances of infection. Certain medications such as antibiotics and steroids may cause overgrowth of Candida.
When you should not use this medicine
Do not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to Clotrimazole or other antifungals or any ingredients listed under the "Ingredients" section below.
Before using Clonea Clotrimazole Thrush Treatment 3 Day Cream
Seek medical advice before the first course of treatment. Clonea Clotrimazole Thrush Treatment 3 Day Cream is available from your pharmacist. You may consult with your pharmacist for further information before starting treatment.
See a doctor if you are under 18 years of age, pregnant or suffer from diabetes.
How to use Clonea Clotrimazole Thrush Treatment 3 Day Cream
Follow all directions given to you by your doctor and pharmacist carefully.
They may differ from the information contained on this leaflet.
- Your treatment pack contains a tube of cream containing 20 g of clotrimazole cream and three single use applicators. 5 grams (1 applicator-full) of cream should be inserted in the vagina daily for three consecutive days.
- This medicine is best used at bedtime unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Wash your hands before and after using this medicine.
- Wear only clean cotton underwear.
If you do not understand the instructions on the pack, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
How to use it
- Remove cap from the tube of cream. Pierce the diaphragm of tube with piercing end of the cap. Screw the open end of the applicator to the tube. Pull the applicator plunger out all the way until it stops. Squeeze the tube of cream until the applicator is full. The applicator will then hold approximately 5 grams of cream. Unscrew the applicator from the tube and replace the cap on the tube.
- Gently insert the applicator (open end first) high into the vagina and push the plunger all the way in. This is best done by lying on the back with the knees bent.
- Discard the used applicator.
- Use this medicine for three consecutive days. It is important that the entire course is completed as advised for the treatment to be effective.
- Treatment should be avoided during menstruation. However if menstruation occurs during treatment the course should be completed.
- The use of condoms and diaphragms for contraception should be avoided during treatment as Clonea Clotrimazole Thrush Treatment 3 Day Cream may reduce the effectiveness of these products.
- Applicators are for single use only and should be discarded after use.
- If you are sexually active your partner may also require treatment. Seek the advice of your doctor or pharmacist.
- It is important to continue treatment and complete the course even if you feel better.
If you miss a dose
Use your medicine as soon as you remember that you have missed your dose.
If it is nearly time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose.
Do not double up on doses at any time to make up for missed doses.
It is important to complete the course of treatment as incomplete courses may result in your symptoms returning.
While you are using Clonea Clotrimazole Thrush Treatment 3 Day Cream
If you are pregnant, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
Avoid using tampons while using clotrimazole.
Avoid using douches or other vaginal products unless your doctor advises you to do so.
If you stop using this medicine too soon, your infection may return.
See a doctor if no improvement occurs after 3 days of treatment or if the problem returns.
If you have problems with the following side effects while using this medicine, talk with your pharmacist or doctor:
- Vaginal itching or burning.
- Increased vaginal discharge.
After using Clonea Clotrimazole Thrush Treatment 3 Day Cream
Keep Clonea Clotrimazole Thrush Treatment 3 Day Cream where children cannot reach it. A locked cupboard at least one-and-a-half metres above the ground is a good place to store medicines.
Store the cream below 25°C
Do not leave your medicine in the car or on windowsills. Heat and dampness can destroy some medicines.
Check the expiry date marked on the end panel of the carton and on the crimp at the end of the tube, which refers to the month and year of the expiration, e.g. 11 96 refers to the eleventh month of 1996. Do not use after the expiry date.
If your doctor or pharmacist tells you to stop using Clonea Clotrimazole Thrush Treatment 3 Day Cream, or your medicine has passed its expiry date, ask your pharmacist what to do.
Clonea Clotrimazole Thrush Treatment 3 Day Cream is a white opaque cream in a 20g tube with three single use disposable applicators.
The active ingredient in Clonea Clotrimazole Thrush Treatment 3 Day Cream is Clotrimazole 20 mg/ g.
This cream also contains the following inactive ingredients:
- Propylene glycol,
- Cetomacrogol 1000,
- Cetostearyl alcohol,
- Liquid paraffin,
- Dimethicone 100,
- White soft paraffin,
- Glyceryl monostearate SE,
- Benzyl alcohol,
- Disodium edetate,
- Purified water.
Alphapharm Pty Limited
(ABN 93 002 359 739)
Level 1, 30 The Bond
30-34 Hickson Road
Millers Point NSW 2000
Phone: (02) 9298 3999
Australian registration numbers:
AUST R 230936
This leaflet was prepared in June 2016.
Clonea Clotrimazole Thrush Treatment 3 Day Cream_cmi\0616/00