Horizontal competency area H2: Communicates and collaborates effectively with the person and other health professionals
This area focuses on the communication and collaboration competencies required for safe and effective prescribing. It covers communicating effectively with the person, their family, or carers (where appropriate), and with other health professionals, particularly their main healthcare provider (usually their general practitioner).
This competency area entails the following elements:
- Element H2.1 - Obtains consent to provide clinical services to the person.
- Element H2.2 - Acknowledges the person, their family, and carers as integral to care and collaborates to achieve optimal health outcomes.
- Element H2.3 - Respects the person.
- Element H2.4 - Communicates effectively with the person using appropriate communication skills to enable the safe use of medicines.
- Element H2.5 - Collaborates with other health professionals to achieve optimal health outcomes for the person.
The horizontal competencies (H1 and H2) are integrated with the other competency areas during the prescribing cycle.