The following drugs have been included in the Palliative Care section of the Schedule of Pharmaceutical Benefits for patients ineligible to have these medications subsidised via the current PBS listings:
- Benzydamine hydrochloride mouth and throat rinse (Difflam)
- Lactulose mixture (various brands) and Macrogol 3350 (Movicol) for constipation
- Naproxen 125 mg/5 mL oral suspension (Naprosyn)
- Morphine sulfate immediate-release tablets 10 mg, 20 mg (Sevredol)
- Morphine sulfate controlled-release tablets 200 mg (MS Contin).
Prescribers are reminded that prescribing opioids must be in accordance with the requirements of State or Territory legislation.
As with all medicines in the palliative care list, quantities for continued supply exceeding one month are allowed only after consultation with a palliative care specialist or service.
For full details of brand names, forms, strengths, and conditions of use, refer to the Schedule.